Ecology, Environment and Conservation Paper

Vol 21.Suppl.Issue June 2015; Page No.(105-108)

PERFORMANCE OF DIFFERENT VARIETIES IN RESPECT OF YIELD AND QUALITY OF WATERMELON (CITRULLUS LANATUS THUNB MANSF) UNDER NORTH GUJARAT CONDITION

S.G. More, V.R. Chudasama, G.S. Tekale, S.V. Salve and S.D. Jarande

Abstract

A field experiment was carried out, with a view to study the “Performance of different varieties in respect of yield and quality of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus Thunb Mansf) under North Gujarat condition” during summer season 2011 on the open field of Horticulture Instructional Farm, Department of Horticulture, College of Horticulture, Sardarkrushinagar, Dantiwada Agricultural University, Sardarkrushinar, Gujarat. Experiment was laid out in Randomized Block Design with four replications. Therefore, making with eight watermelon varieties i.e. V1 (Sugar Baby), V2 (Arka Manik), V3 (Asahi Yamato), V4 (Durgapura Lal- RW- 177-3), V5 (Durgapura- RW-187-2), V6 (Sonam), V7 (GP- 42) and V8 (GP- 3). The results revealed that, variety V1 (Sugar Baby) found significantly superior with highest number of fruits per plant, i.e. 2.85. The maximum average fruit weight (kg) was superior with V7 (GP- 42), i.e. 6.28 kg per fruit. Variety V2 (Arka Manik) recorded the highest fruit yield per plant (11.563 kg), yield per hectare (578.13 quintal) and maximum values for quality parameters i.e. total soluble solids (14.70º Brix), reducing sugar (6.01 %), non reducing sugar (4.21%), total sugar content (10.23%) and organolaptic score (8.05). From the findings of study it may be concluded that variety V2 (Arka Manik) is suitable for cultivation in North Gujarat region as it gives highest BCR ratio among all other varieties of watermelon.

Enter your contact information below to receive full paper.
Your Name :
Email:
Phone:
City:
Cost of Full Paper: Rs.75 for Indian Nationals or $20 (USD) for international subscribers.
By clicking on Request Paper you Agree to pay the above mentioned cost per paper.