Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology & Environmental Sciences Paper

Vol 11, Issue 3, 2009; Page No.(671-675 )

EVALUATION OF BRUCELLA INDIRECT ENZYME LINKED IMMUNOSORBENT ASSAY IN COMPARISON WITH CONVENTIONAL SEROLOGICAL TESTS IN PYREXIA OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN CASES

ANNAPURNA S. AGASTHYA, SRIKRISHNA ISLOOR AND K. PRABHUDAS

Abstract

Brucellosis is not an uncommon disease among patients presenting with Pyrexia of Unknown Origin (PUO) in India. The present study was done at Project Directorate on Animal Disease Monitoring and Surveillance, Bangalore (India) to interpret the sero-prevalence of brucellosis among Pyrexia of Unknown Origin cases in different parts of Karnataka State (India). Serum samples collected from 1500 patients with a history of chronic fever were subjected to serological tests like Rose Bengal Plate Agglutination Test (RBPT), Standard Tube Agglutination Test (STAT) and an indigenously standardized indirect Enzyme Linked Imrnunosorbent Assay (i ELISA) by using smooth lipopolysaccharide antigen of Brucella abortus 99. Out of 1500 pUO cases, 204 samples were tested positive for brucellosis. Disease prevalence was 12% in males while 1.6% was in females. The overall prevalence recorded was 13.6%. The disease prevalence was 9.27% in South Karnataka and 4.33% in North Karnataka respectively. The present study showed that brucellosis could be considered an important cause of PUO in India. Indirect ELISA was found to be more sensitive than the conventional RBPT and STAT. The detection of antibodies against Brucella by the indirect ELISA would be of help in detection and treatment of patients in time.

Enter your contact information below to receive full paper.
Your Name :
Email:
Phone:
City:
Cost of Full Paper: Rs.75 for Indian Nationals or $20 (USD) for international subscribers.
By clicking on Request Paper you Agree to pay the above mentioned cost per paper.
  
Journal Issues
Vol 21, Issue 4, 2019
Vol 21, Nov. Suppl. Issue, 2019
Vol 21, Issue 3, 2019
Vol 21, Issue 2, 2019
Vol 21, Issue 1, 2019
Vol 20, Dec. Suppl. No.2, 2018
Vol 20, Issue 4, 2018
Vol 20, Dec. Suppl. Issue, 2018
Vol 20, Oct Suppl. Issue, 2018
Vol 20, Issue 3, 2018
Vol 20, Issue 2, 2018
Vol 20, Issue 1, 2018
Vol 20, Feb. Suppl. Issue, 2018
Vol 19, Issue 4, 2017
Vol 19, Nov. Suppl, Issue 2017
Vol 19, Issue 3, 2017
Vol 19, Issue 2, 2017
Vol 19, Issue 1, 2017
Vol 18, Issue 4, 2016
Vol 18, Issue 3, 2016
Vol 18, Issue 2, 2016
Vol 18, Issue 1, 2016
Vol 17, Issue 4, 2015
Vol 17, Issue 3, 2015
Vol. 17 Special Issue 2015
Vol 17, Issue 2, 2015
Vol 17, Issue 1, 2015
Vol 16, Issue 4, 2014
Vol 16, Issue 3, 2014
Vol 16, Issue 2, 2014
Vol 16, Issue 1, 2014
Vol 15, Issue 4, 2013
Vol 15, Issue 3, 2013
Vol 15, Issue 2, 2013
Vol 15 Issue 1, 2013
Vol 14, Issue 4, 2012
Vol 14, Issue 3, 2012
Vol 14, Issue 2, 2012
Vol.14, Issue 1, 2012
Vol.13, Issue 4, 2011
Vol.13, Issue 3, 2011
Vol.13, Issue 2, 2011
Vol.13, Issue 1, 2011
Vol.12, Issue 4, 2010
Vol.12, Issue 3, 2010
Vol.12, Issue 2, 2010
Vol.12, Issue 1, 2010
Vol 11, Issue 4, 2009
Vol 11, Issue 3, 2009
Vol 11, Issue 2, 2009
Vol 11, Issue 1, 2009
Vol 10, Issue 4, 2008
Vol 10, Issue 3, 2008
Vol 10, Issue 3, 2008
Vol 10, Issue 2, 2008
Vol 10, Issue 1, 2008
Vol 9, Issue 4, 2007
Vol 9, Issue 3, 2007
Vol 9, Issue 2, 2007
Vol 9, Issue 1, 2007
Vol 8, Issue 4, 2006
Vol 8, Issue 3, 2006
Vol 08, Issue 2, 2006
Vol 08, Issue 1, 2006
Vol 7 Issue 4, 2005
Vol 07, Issue 3, 2005
Vol 07, Issue 2, 2005
Vol 6 Issue 4, 2004
Vol 6 Issue 3, 2004
Vol 6 Issue 2, 2004
Vol 6 Issue 1, 2004
Vol 5 Issue 3, 2003
Vol 5 Issue 2, 2003
Vol 04, Issue 4, 2002
Vol 04, Issue 1, 2002
Vol 3 Issue 1-2, 2001
Vol 1 Issue 1-2, 2000
Vol 1 Issue 3-4, 1999
Vol 1 Issue 1-2, 1999
Looking for Past Issues? Click here to get them!!