MECHANISM OF DRUG RESISTANCE IN STAPHYLOCOCCUS A LIRELISNILIMA LANKESHWAR AND U. S. BAGDE
The emergence of drug resistant bacteria is posing a major problem in antimicrobial therapy. The frequency varies with the organism and the drug used. If treatment with drug kills 99% of the bacteria, the remaining 1% will breed a new generation of germs that will not be affected by the particular drug. They will probably pass that resistance on to bacteria of other species. A possible mechanism of resistance to Ciprofloxacin and Sparfloxacin in Staphylococcus aureus. was studied. The growth of sensitive Staphylococcus aureus was completely inhibited at 0.5pg/ml, of Ciprofloxacin and lpg/mL concentration of Sparfloxacin, while the resistant strain tolerated even 5 pg/rnI, concentration of Ciprofloxacin and 50 pg/mL concentration of Spa rfloxacin. Mechanism of resistance was found to be the presence of plasmid. Plasrnid was analyzed by agarose gel electrophoresis. Plasrnid curing was successful with 10` sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) treatment. All colonies on plate after SUS treatment were tested for drug resistance on nutrient agar containing diffrent concentrations of drugs,
Enter your contact information below to receive full paper.