SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT AND FARMER’S WILLINGNESS TO PARTICIPATE: A CASE STUDY OF DEEPOR BEELNazneen Ara Hoque and Archana Sharma
Deepor Beel is the only Ramsar site of Assam and is the only key storm water storage basin for the Guwahati City. In the last few years, Deepor beel restoration has been at the center of discussion in Assamâs wetland ecosystem restoration initiative because of the scale and socioeconomic functions of the wetlands to this region. Government has already adopted policies concerning all the issues relating to the deterioration of Deepor beel but a restoration programme will be successful only if locals participate in it. This paper thus tried to assess the views of the farmers, the primary user of the wetland. A case study has been conducted on Mikirpara Chakardo village, where people are engaged in agricultural practice in the fringe areas of Deepor beel. Only (30%) of the farmers are willing to participate in wetland restoration programme in general and the remaining 70% were not willing to participate. Factors that might affect farmersâ participation decisions were analysed through the application of binary probit regression model. Education and knowledge of wetlandâs ecological benefits and values (Benefit knowledge) were found to be significant at 5% level of confidence.